Hip: Diseases similar to osteoarthritis
Certain pathologies may resemble the symptoms of osteoarthritis. They will be excluded from the diagnosis by your doctor. This is why he or she may ask for further tests.
The differentiation between osteoarthritis and diseases that are similar occurs at the beginning stage of osteoarthritis.
They may be:
- of radicular origin (neurological examination),
- tendinitis of gluteus medius,
- any bone of the pelvis affected,
- reflex sympathetic dystrophy,
- subchondral stress fracture or femoral neck fracture,
- synovial chondromatosis,
- villonodular synovitis,
The list of diseases with similar symptoms to osteoarthritis of the hip presented above is not exhaustive. There are other conditions not listed here, but less common, which can symptomatically resemble osteoarthritis.